The difference between occupation, mass immigration and natural border crossings

TASS:

Authors of DW article on Ukrainian president forget lessons of history – Russian diplomat

“On August 5, Zelensky said in an interview with the Dom TV channel that people who considered themselves to be Russians were making a big mistake by staying in Donbass because “it will never be part of Russia.” He also said that those in Donbass who considered themselves to be Russians, should move to Russia. In response, Zakharova stated that “the Kiev regime has crossed all the red lines that separate a national policy from nationalism.”.”

This reveals the fundamental difference between empire (Russia) and nation state (Ukraine). The idealist in me is nationalistic, but I’m disillusioned and therefore a 70% political realist, which moderates my remaining 30% nationalism. For example, I support in principle that all imperial settlers return home from Australia and the Americas, but this repatriation is politically unrealistic of course. It’s nevertheless important to have a discussion about the principles and definitions of nationalism. That’s also relevant on a website about surveillance because much identification and monitoring are related to ethnicity, cf Xinjiang, Israel and Nazi Germany. The census killed the Jews in Europe during WW2.

First principle of nationalism: if a foreign ethnic group with a different culture and religion from a distant region occupies the land of an indigenous people, it follows that the native population always have a right to take back their land, if that is realistically possible.

Second nationalistic principle: if nationalists in their own country of origin have always objected to mass immigration, especially if it has occurred the last fifty years (only two generations ago), then it’s allowed to repatriate these immigrants, by giving them 5-10 years to relocate.

Third principle of nationalism: if two indigenous groups have been neighbors for a millennia or more in the same region, and a border conflict arises between them, regarding who should own border areas, then it’s not possible for either group to appeal to the ideology of nationalism, since both have more or less the same national property rights in that area, so they must either fight over it or find a peaceful compromise.

Fourth principle: if there is a territorial conflict between an ethnic mini-state and a much larger ethnic or religious group surrounding it, then it’s tolerable that the mini-state keeps very small and neighboring territories it has occupied during a war.

To be specific:

Native people in Tibet, Siberia and the Americas will in theory always have a right to take back their homelands, but in practice it’s not realistic to think they can ever defeat nuclear empires (China, Russia and the US), so it’s pointless to debate repatriation in these cases.

Nationalists in Norway or England for example have objected to mass immigration since the 1970s, so these immigrants have no property rights in these countries, since the liberal and abstract idea of “citizenship” has never been a (fundamental) part of the ethno-nationalistic ideology. It’s realistically possible that nationalists in European countries will take back their homelands from neoliberal globalists. Peaceful repatriation of immigrants, regardless of whether they are white or non-white, is therefore a possibility.

In Donbas (it can arguably be claimed that) the Ukrainian and Russian populations have always been mixed (as neighbors) in the same (border) region, so the third principle of nationalism applies. Kremlin should object to ethno-sectarianism in this border area instead of claiming that nationalism in itself is a bad thing.

In the area of Israel, the Jews are the original indigenous population in a mini-state which has been occupied by Romans, Arabs and the British, so it’s acceptable enough that they keep the West Bank and the Golan Heights.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s